Home » Commemorative coins of Ukraine and souvenir products

St. Michael’s Vydubychi Monastery


Putting into circulation : 16 April 2020
Technical Specifications
Denomination Metal Weight, g Diameter, mm Quality class of coinage Edge Mintage, pcs Actual, pcs
5 nickel silver 16.54 35,0 special uncirculated corrugated 40000 40000

Series: Spiritual Treasures of Ukraine
This coin celebrates St. Michael’s Vydubychi Monastery, which was founded by Vsevolod, a son of Yaroslav the Wise, in an area called Vydubychi, which lies on the southern outskirts of Kyiv. According to a chronicle, the area derives its name from the Ukrainian word “видибати” (to surface). In that area, a wooden idol of the pagan god Perun surfaced after being dumped into the Dnipro River near the Old Kyiv Mount when Christianity was declared the official religion of Kyiv Rus. St. Michael’s Church, which was built in the latter quarter of the 11th century, was the monastery’s first masonry church. In the early 12th century, the monastery became one of the places where chronicles were written. The monastery owned many lands with crossing points on the Dnipro River and its tributary – the Lybid River. The monastery played an active role in the political life of Kyiv Rus. Before battle, soldiers usually gathered near St. Michael’s Church. The monastery, which is a national architectural monument, took its modern shape in the late 17th and the early 18th centuries, when several structures were added to it. These included St. George’s Cathedral, one of the best masterpieces of the Ukrainian Baroque style, the monastery refectory, the Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior, and a bell tower.
Retail price, Hryvnas: 77

Obverse: at the top is Ukraine`s small coat of arms, above which is the semicircular legend УКРАЇНА (Ukraine); in the center, against a smooth background are landmark buildings of the Vydubychi Monastery architectural complex and, amid the flowers, the following legends: 5/ГРИВЕНЬ/2020 (5/hryvnias) (below) and ВИДУБИЦЬКИЙ СВЯТО-МИХАЙЛІВСЬКИЙ МОНАСТИР (St. Michael’s Vydubychi Monastery) (semicircular); and the mint mark of the NBU’s Banknote Printing and Minting Works (to the left, amid the flowers).
Reverse: there is the following composition: in the center are stairs symbolizing the ancient history of the monastery, on the first step of the stairs is the inscription – XI ст. (11th century); on the left are stylized iconographic images of saints, to the right of the stairs is the image of a monk, below is the stamp of Prince Vsevolod, to the right of which is the coat of arms of a commander of a regiment Mykhailo Myklashevskyi, who made a donation to build the St. George`s Cathedral (1696-1701).
Designer: Куц Марина
Engraver: Volodymyr Demianenko , Volodymyr Atamanchuk
Backspace